Best of Arlington 2017
5 Health & Beauty Luxuries
Go ahead, live a little. Beauty and style columnist Adrienne Wichard-Edds suggests a few small indulgences to help you look and feel your best.
1. Hot Lather Shave at Hendricks. Sure, the barbers at Clarendon’s new gentlemen’s salon can tame your wild facial hair if you’re all about the beard. But they can also steam your pores open, soften your mug with hot towels, apply lather and then smooth it all away with a straight razor. Scruff may be sexy, but nothing’s as enticing as baby-soft skin. hendricksbarbershop.com
2. Reflexology with Vital Akimana. Reflexologist Akimana’s presence alone is healing, but his touch is transformative as he targets pressure points on your feet to promote a greater sense of wellness from head to toe. Akimana currently works at House of Steep in Cherrydale and is also available by appointment. firstname.lastname@example.org, 336-312-7454.
3. Nomaterra Perfume Oil. The husband-and-wife duo behind this decidedly un-perfumey fragrance line have concocted delightful unisex scents inspired by their travels around the country. Not a week goes by when someone doesn’t ask me what I’m wearing (it’s East Hampton). Available at Sophie Blake in the Mosaic District. www.nomaterra.com
4. Juice Cleanse from South Block. Proponents of juice cleanses swear by their whole-body-healing powers. Plus, drinking Caveman Mylk tastes like dessert, not detox. The local juicery has locations in Clarendon, East Falls Church and Del Ray. southblockjuice.com
5. Eyelash extensions from My Lashes Studio. Owner Alla Gertskaya works with thin, natural-looking mink lashes and doubles them up for volume. Extensions last for about three weeks, but you can have refills done for about half the price—or have them all removed for free. 1531 N. Pierce St., Arlington, 571-253-8737